The Bell PTSA is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization and is part of the largest volunteer, child-advocacy group in the country. The Bell PTSA has advocacy at the core of everything we do. In addition to our advocacy work, we focus on providing educational enrichment opportunities to Bell students, building our community connection, and giving back to our community. Below is more information about the work we do in each area.
The PTSA's exclusive interest is the health, welfare, safety, and education of your children. Children cannot vote and do not participate in the legislative process. Thus, they have no say in creating the policies that affect their lives and well-being. The PTSA allows you to speak for the interest of your children when you cannot be there yourself. Whether in Washington D.C., Olympia, or in your own city government offices, everywhere decisions are made that affect your children. The PTSA is speaking on behalf of your children. This has always been and always will be the central focus of the PTSA. Many programs we see in our schools today (e.g., kindergarten, pre-school, hot and healthy lunches, and arts in education) are the result of the PTSA's advocacy efforts. To learn more about the advocacy work we are doing at Bell, visit our advocacy page.
Giving Back to Our Community
Bell PTSA provides grants to teachers and specialists every year, offers support in the school via volunteerism, provides food, clothing, and other necessities to Bell families via the Pantry Packs and Bell Families-in-Need programs, organizes holiday gift drives and teacher appreciation events, does sustainability work in the community, provides student scholarships, and much more. Additionally, Bell PTSA provides substantial funding to improve our school--below are a few recent examples:
- $10,000 to fund a library book expansion program focused on improving diversity (2021)
- $16,00 to fund a a portion of the playground project, scheduled to be completed by summer 2022
- We have over $10,000 in our budget set aside for staff grants
Bell PTSA continues to prioritize educational enrichment via a number of different program. We have adapted to the new learning environment and shifted to providing more virtual and outdoor enrichment opportunities for the time being. Below are examples of PTSA programs:
- Art with Mrs. Lustgarten
- Before and After-School Enrichment Classes
- Recess Soccer Program
- The School Play
- Reflections of Art
- Quiet Hearts Nature workshops
- Egg Drop
- Virtual Field trips (Pacific Science Center & Oxbow Farms)
- Created a site where students can navigate the online curriculum components more independently.
- Organized a book exchange which resulted in 1,500+ books being donations! Every student at our school was able to take home three books!
Each year, Bell PTSA funds and organizes events that bring our community together. While this last year looked very different (due to remote learning and social distancing), we adapted our approach and stayed connected virtually and in a socially-responsible way. This year, we are thrilled to start bringing back some of our in-person events. Below are examples of our work around community connection:
- The Harvest Party
- Coffee & Community
- Kindergarten Playdate
- Bell Community Gathering - Summer 2021
- Popcorn Fridays
- Pumpkin Decorating Contest
- Spring Carnival & Dance
- Walk to School Week
- PTSA community meetings
- Yearbook creation
- Bell's Friendship Rock Garden
- Enhanced communication and transparency by launching a new website
- Redesigned and improved Bell PTSA's weekly newsletter, the Bulldog Blast
Your membership, donations, and involvement at Bell have a direct impact on your student(s) and the quality of their school. The PTSA has the ability, more than any other organization, to make a school a better place for your student(s) to learn. We do this by addressing the needs of our schools. You can help identify those needs and develop solutions. We hope you will get involved and be part of the amazing work we do!
- Tuesday, September 6
- Wednesday, September 7
- Thursday, September 8
- Friday, September 9
- Tuesday, September 13