What is the Egg Drop?
This is an event where all K-5 students work in teams (usually 4-5 teams per classroom) to design a device that will keep their raw egg from cracking when dropped from a high elevation. This is a super fun STEM activity and is a wonderful opportunity to work in teams on creative solutions that get those engineering minds working. The Kirkland Fire Department will bring out their firetruck and drop all of the devices from the top of the ladder. Of course, if there is an emergency the fire department needs to attend to during the time we have them scheduled, we will find an alternative way to drop the eggs.
When is the Egg Drop?
Tuesday, June 20, 2023 (exact time TBD). Students will work in teams in their classrooms either that morning or the day/week prior to build their devices.
How can I support this awesome STEM activity?
We need folks to donate supplies, help with organization and distribution of supplies, and we need volunteers during the event. Click the button below to sign-up.
We need to know the Egg Drop teams in your classroom and which students are on each team. Please have the students come up with their team names, then enter the information by clicking on the button below. Please let us know the team names by Friday, June 9.
- The PTSA will bring a bag of supplies to each classroom by Wednesday, June 14 (eggs will be dropped off the morning of June 20)
- The PTSA will print labels of all the teams and drop them off with the supplies (please adhere the label to the contraption for that team and keep the egg in the ziploc bag)
- On the day of the event, we will hand out otter pops to all the kids, so they can enjoy a treat while they watch the event. If you have any students who cannot eat otter pops, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Location: black-top (rain or shine, dress accordingly)
- Date/Times: Tuesday, June 20 (exact times for each grade TBD)
- Friday, June 2
- Wednesday, June 7
- Thursday, June 8
- Friday, June 9
- Friday, June 16
- Monday, June 19
- Tuesday, June 20