Did you know that Bell PTSA implemented a composting program at Bell Elementary in 2019, which resulted in more than a 50% reduction in our landfill contribution? The impact was substantial and we are extremely proud of this work.The implementation of this program was not easy and involved an immense amount of work (involving the city of Kirkland and Lake Washington School District).
Unfortunately, due to resource constraints and other challenges with COVID, the composting program was shut-down. The Green Team relaunched this program in 2021 in addition to a food-donation program, which has significantly reduce food waste in our cafeteria.
- Maintain the composting and food-donation programs at Bell and support efforts for all schools in the district to implement these programs.
- Launch a food-share program at Bell.
- Continue to work with legislators and other key stakeholders (e.g., Sodexo, school board, district, and principal) on changes we can make both locally and at the legislative level.
- Engage preschool about separating garbage and food waste
- Follow best practices guide for reducing single-use plastics at PTSA events
- Join other LWSD schools in lobbying for water bottle filling stations
- Build community engagement through education and events
- Clearing back invasives in the AG Bell woods
- Litter collection
- Informal educational programs
- School garden
- Herbicide-free school
The Sustainability Committee, which is composed of sustainability chairs from schools throughout Lake Washington School District, meets monthly (second Thursday of the month) where they share best practices and organize efforts to execute on defined objectives. We look forward to collaborating with volunteers in the community to make this happen!
We want to hear from you! What are your concerns and priorities? Let's all come together to make our school and community healthier and more forward-looking. Anyone who is interested in getting involved, please email Amanda Gibson (Bell's Sustainability Chair) at email@example.com.
- Friday, June 2
- Wednesday, June 7
- Thursday, June 8
- Friday, June 9
- Friday, June 16
- Monday, June 19
- Tuesday, June 20