What is Legislative Assembly?
- The purpose of legislative assembly is to determine the legislative priorities of WSPTA, to educate and mobilize advocates, and to advance WSPTA’s legislative program.
- The Washington State PTA legislative platform is a two-year platform to mirror the Washington state legislative cycle. On the even-numbered years, the new platform is voted on by members at the legislative assembly in the fall. The top five issues become our short-term platform and consist of our priority issues when advocating throughout the year. Other issues are placed on an “also supported” list.
- The 43rd Annual Legislative Assembly will take place in a virtual format on October 23 and 24, 2021.
What are WSPTA's top five legislative priorities? (more info here)
- Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff
- Support Students and Preserve Education Funding
- Increasing Educational Equity by Closing the Digital Divide
- Supports and Funding for Students with Disabilities and Their Families
- Prevent and Reduce Gun Violence and Suicide
What happens after Legislative Assembly?
- The work goes on! The top five priorities (and other supported priorities) help us focus.
- When bills are active in Washington State’s Legislative session, we reach out to our legislators asking them to support (or not support) certain bills.
- In addition to reaching out to our legislators about our legislative priorities, we also relay these priorities to Lake Washington School District (LWSD), the LWSD School Board, our school principal, Kirkland City Council (if applicable), and other stakeholders. We advocate via multiple avenues to support the needs of our students.
- We stay informed and engaged by attending meetings (e.g., town halls, school board meetings, PTSA meetings, etc.), sending emails, making phone calls, scheduling meetings with our legislators and other key stakeholders.
How can I get involved?
- If you would like to attend Legislative Assembly or be a voting delegate at the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check out our advocacy work page for a number of ways to get involved.
- Reach out to Bell's legislative chair at email@example.com or Bell's PTSA president at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions.
- Friday, October 22
- Thursday, October 28
- Friday, October 29
- Thursday, November 11
- Friday, November 19
- Wednesday, November 24
- Thursday, November 25
- Friday, November 26