What is Legislative Assembly?
- An annual gathering of PTSA members who caucus, debate, and vote on issues and resolutions to set legislative priorities for Washington State PTA.
- The Washington State PTA legislative platform is a two-year platform to mirror the Washington state legislative cycle. On the even-numbered years, the new platform is voted on by members at the legislative assembly in the fall. The top five issues become our short-term platform and consist of our priority issues when advocating throughout the year. Other issues are placed on an “also supported” list.
The planning for the 43rd Annual Legislative Assembly is currently underway. Stay tuned for more information regarding the date and format for next year’s grassroots advocacy event.
What are WSPTA's top five legislative priorities? (more info here)
- Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff
- Support Students and Preserve Education Funding
- Increasing Educational Equity by Closing the Digital Divide
- Supports and Funding for Students with Disabilities and Their Families
- Prevent and Reduce Gun Violence and Suicide
What happens after Legislative Assembly?
- The work goes on! The top five priorities (and other supported priorities) help us focus.
- When bills are active in Washington State’s Legislative session, we reach out to our legislators asking them to support (or not support) certain bills.
- In addition to reaching out to our legislators about our legislative priorities, we also relay these priorities to Lake Washington School District (LWSD), the LWSD School Board, our school principal, Kirkland City Council (if applicable), and other stakeholders. We advocate via multiple avenues to support the needs of our students.
- We stay informed and engaged by attending meetings (e.g., town halls, school board meetings, PTSA meetings, etc.), sending emails, making phone calls, scheduling meetings with our legislators and other key stakeholders.
How can I get involved?
- Monday, August 9
- Wednesday, August 11
- Thursday, August 12
- Friday, August 13
- Tuesday, August 17
- Monday, August 23
- Wednesday, September 1