What is Legislative Assembly?
- Annual gathering of PTSA members and delegates to focus on advocacy for children (Oct 24th-25th, 2020). Multiple Bell PTSA members attended this year.
- Participants caucus, debate, and vote on issues and resolutions to set legislative priorities.
What are WSPTA's top five legislative priorities for 2020-202? (more info here)
- Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff
- Support Students and Preserve Education Funding
- Increasing Educational Equity by Closing the Digital Divide
- Supports and Funding for Students with Disabilities and Their Families
- Prevent and Reduce Gun Violence and Suicide
What happens after Legislative Assembly?
- The work goes on! The top five priorities (and other supported priorities) help us focus.
- When bills are active in Washington State’s Legislative session, we reach out to our legislators asking them to support (or not support) certain bills.
- In addition to reaching out to our legislators about our legislative priorities, we also relay these priorities to Lake Washington School District (LWSD), the LWSD School Board, our school principal, Kirkland City Council (if applicable), and other stakeholders. We advocate via multiple avenues to support the needs of our students.
- We stay informed and engaged by attending meetings (e.g., town halls, school board meetings, PTSA meetings, etc.), sending emails, making phone calls, scheduling meetings with our legislators and other key stakeholders.
How can I get involved?
- Monday, April 19
- Tuesday, April 20
- Wednesday, April 21
- Thursday, April 22
- Saturday, April 24
- Tuesday, April 27
- Wednesday, April 28